Gateball teams have captains who call the shots for a game. However, in effective teams, all players have responsibilities which include:
- standing at the closest boundary to their ball position
- knowing where the next number opposition ball is at all times
- knowing where the team’s next ball is
- after making a stroke or spark, walking to a position ready for the next stroke or spark.
- watching the captain carefully
- thinking through the probable shot they will be asked to play, but having a couple of options in mind to avoid rigid, unchangeable thinking
- not discussing their shot when called – playing within 10 seconds
- being ready with any information a captain may wish to double check, eg. the last gate the ball has scored, or if the ball has already passed a particular gate.
Players have a responsibility to think both court side and when they are playing their own turn. Players can take a “Think Like A Captain Course” to help them prepare better for tournament play. Email email@example.com for more information.